Saturday, May 24, 2008

32. Greece: Astoria Shish Kebab House

Astoria Shish Kebab House
390 Danforth Ave
(at Chester)
416 463 2838

A second attempt to visit the Konditor Austrian bakery on Queen near Woodbine failed as they were once again closed, this time without explanation. They've now officially been crossed of the list.
Faced with the dilemma of where to eat, I decide to visit Greek Town on the Danforth on this warm, sunny Saturday afternoon. I get off the subway at the Pape station, start walking westward and am slightly overwhelmed by block after block of Greek restaurants. How to choose? Then I remember friends recommending the Astoria which I found, right outside the Chester subway station.
There is a large patio but I opt for the cool, relatively quiet dining room. Greek music plays in the background and I hear the language spoken by many patrons, although this being Toronto, I hear other languages as well. I am impressed by how quickly tables are bussed and efficiently cleaned and reset.
I order the Traditional Veggie Platter, $11.99 [pictured above]. A basket of bread and at what at first glance looks to be a run-of-the-mill Greek salad arrives promptly. With very fresh ingredients and just the right amount of a well balanced vinaigrette, the salad is refreshingly good. When my platter arrives I can already tell I'll be taking some of it home. Accompanied by potatoes, rice and tzatziki are three dolmades (grapevine leaves stuffed with rice, herbs and spices) and two sizable spanakopita (filo pastry triangles filled with spinach and feta cheese).
Having lived in Toronto over forty years, it's my first visit to Greek Town. I'll definitely be back.

Rating: Ambiance (3)
Service (3)
Food Presentation (2)
Food Quality (3)
Value for Money (4)

No comments: